Just Shy of Paradise

Just Shy of Paradise
BUY HERE

Friday, April 19, 2013

34 years ago Today...


Happy Anniversary to my husband. Thirty-four years ago, I placed my wedding dress and all that I needed to go with it in the back seat of the car. My mother and I traveled together from Orem to Logan. Of course I was a little nervous, but mostly excited. For some reason, we were late though I don't remember why. When we stepped into the LDS Logan temple, my soon to be husband was standing in the foyer, waiting for me. The look on his face when he saw me was total relief. He later told me he was really afraid I wouldn't show up. After I got ready in a special room reserved for brides, I climbed the stairs and entered a sealing room. All of my brothers and their wives were there. Both of our parents were there. I don't remember everyone who was in the room. I don't remember anything that the officiator said. I just remember feeling completely confident that the man kneeling across the alter was the best person I'd ever known. And I was confident that for some reason, he believed that about me. I was told that everyone behind me was giggling because my feet were jiggling the whole time. They thought I was scared, but they didn't know that my legs always jitter during occasions both big and small. It's not intentional. My dad once quipped that sitting between me and a sister-in-law was like being on a teeter-totter. It's a prominent genetic thing in the family too. Once at a farewell sacrament meeting for a niece, I looked down the row and all the Thayne cousins legs were pumping in unison, but that may be another story.


I was crazy in love with my husband then  and even more crazy in love with him today. I feel so blessed and so lucky that I can say that. It seems impossible that 34 years have passed since that day. We were blessed to welcome a darling boy a year later and four years later a beautiful girl. We are pleased to have three grand children too. Mick has calmed my life. I have energized his. Together we make a pretty good team.

April 19th and days in and around it have become a day for terrible things.
 April 19, 1993 – Waco conflict
April 19, 1995 – Oklahoma City Bombing
April 20, 1999 – Columbine High School Shootings
April 16, 2007 – Virginia Tech Shootings
April 20, 2010 – BP’s Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and now Boston. 
Had I known perhaps I  we would have chose another day. Each year, it seems like we breathe a sigh of relief if the month is uneventful. But through it all, my husband is the calm in the storms and struggles of life. But he's been there for the moments of triumph too. Thanks Mick for thirty-four years.

2 comments:

The Suzzzz said...

I'm glad something good happened on an April 19th. We need the good events to out weigh the bad. Congratulations!

Rebecca said...

I do that too! Especially when I'm singing a hymn. Congratulations to both of you!!