Just Shy of Paradise

Just Shy of Paradise
BUY HERE

Friday, March 27, 2009

Worth the price?



So for the last five years I've hesitated to part with the money to buy a season pass to our local resort, Beaver Mountain. Beaver is one of those places that really doesn't have a counterpart as far as I know. It's still run by the Seeholzer family, has stayed small, and has not succumbed to the zealousness of some resort owners. Well this year, I decided that I needed to ski. I needed it as much as I needed other health professionals who help me have the best quality life possible. It's easy to drop 500.00 for an experimental procedure with the hope that it will cure migraine headaches, so why did it take me so long to decide that $270.00 dollars was worth the investment in my well-being. Here I am with some potter friends, Kerri and K. Rasmussen from Hyrum. We've had lots of good laughs on the slopes, and lots of good conversations on the slopes.
Another thing I do that doesn't cost any money, but does take committment is that I walk around 3-4 miles at least 5 days a week. The other day five of us from the same neighborhood walked together. Psycho-therapy costs on average about $175.00 an hour--and it may be well worth the cost, but it certainly isn't as enjoyable as a walk in nature, or skiing with a couple of long-time friends, or new friends. The other day I skiied with someone I'd only known for a couple of walks. A few years ago, a woman who has come to become a great friend had only one criteria for a ski partner--a Democrat. She called someone she knew and asked if she knew any Democrats who skiied. Well I fit the bill and we've been great friends ever since.

6 comments:

summersara88 said...

aw aunt carol you look like a model for winter clothing in that picture.

C.J. said...

Why thank you Sara.

Josi said...

I'm so glad you got up on the slopes--I have a friend that is an instructor up at Beaver. One day I might learn to ski . . . or maybe not.

Lisa said...

Carol- fun blog! Next year may I join your skiing. Four children in school is perfect for a lovely trip to the slopes for the mother! I can't wait!

Jeremi said...

Carole, that's awesome! Did you get another pass for next year? Since my baby is going to be in 1st grade I decided to splurge and get one so I can head up for a few hours on school days. Let me know if you ever need a lift buddy!

C.J. said...

Jeremi--I'm always looking for skiing buddies. And Yes,my pass is for next year.