Just Shy of Paradise

Just Shy of Paradise
BUY HERE

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Something Fun to Do in Paradise this Weekend

I’ve been making pottery for over thirty years. I started in Mr. Bird’s high school art class at Orem High. I learned a lot from my friend Mark Bennion who was a very skilled potter even at that young age. My teacher Mr. Bird was also valuable, not so much for what he taught me, but for his trust in letting me forgo other art assignments and concentrate on learning to throw. It takes a lot of time, patience, and practice to master pottery making.

This week I’ve joined with some local artisans to put on a sale at the Paradise Town Hall. Joining me is Jim Parrish. I met Jim last year at the Idaho Arts Festival where he was selling his photography and I was selling pottery. Jim lives three miles from me and I’ve been by his house hundreds of times over the years, but had no idea such a talented photographer lived so close.

Nancy Olsen is another excellent photographer who is doing our art sale. She concentrates on portraiture and action shots of children participating in sports. She runs her own studio here in Paradise and is offering free 4x6 portraits as part of the weekends events.

Most exciting about this local festival is we have live music on Saturday afternoon from 1 pm to 5 pm. First, we’ll have Wade and Cara. I’m not sure what to call their music because it has influences from all over the world, but they are amazing. I heard them for the first time last year and was blown away by the talent. They have traveled the world performing and we are lucky that they’ve come home long enough to join us once again. They will also have a CD available.

The Sagwitch Basin Boys are our own Western band. They are a group of local men, and one young woman who play a variety of instruments and sing songs from popular groups as well as several originals. The originals are actually my favorites. These guys are toe-tapping fun to listen to and won’t disappoint.

So when is this great event? This weekend, Saturday May 26th from 9 AM to 6 PM and Monday Morning during the Memorial Day Firefighters Breakfast from 7 AM to 11 AM.
Where? Paradise Town Hall—9035 S. 100 W.

Also new this year: Each artist will donate a selected work for a raffle to benefit the Paradise Fire Department for needed emergency equipment.

No comments: